Sun, 23 Jun 1996 23:36:55 -0500
Confusion on the part of subscribers as to what to do with the "confirm"
messages generated when you use the Renew= keyword is perennial.  As I
recall, last time we had any go out they had a From: of owner-listname and
a Reply-to:  of LISTSERV, which added to the confusion.

I've never done it but I believe you can customize the message via the
MAILTPL file(s).

If the primary reason for using RENEW is to get rid of old, invalid
student subsciptions where they set themselves nomail and then never
bothered to unsubscribe (happens all the time) you might want to use
6monthly rather than specific dates.  Your regular, longterm subscribers
will never be bothered, for the most part.  The counter for this is reset
whenever the sub address has any activity, which can be posting to the list,
setting nomail, switching from mail to digest, etc.  Just about anything
resets the counter.  An account set to nomail and then abandoned will be
caught whenever the time period is up.

However, keep in mind that if you do a     SET listname option FOR *@*
it will reset the counter for every subscription.  So, I quit using
that when we put in the RENEW keyword.

Which reminds me, Eric.  Sure would like for SET to work in a DD job.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L