John Chadwick <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 14:20:37 +0000
On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Pete Weiss wrote:

> I think you've mixed and matched issues of a mail-to-X gateway and its
> various clinet viewer attributes, and the ability of said gateway to push
> messages onto the e-mail list.

Your probably correct that I have mixed and matched issues. However, the
original desire for a newsgroup so that people did not have to subscribe
to the listserv and have numerous e-mail postings filling their mailbox
each day. Newgroups allowed for people to get their messages sorted by
date or topic, kill files could be created for certain postings or posters.

With many POP mail programs, including Netscape and Microsoft mail
clients, and Eudora Light 3.0, users can setup filters, sort by thread.
Essentially, they can do all the things that made Newsreader programs
attractive.

> What are the well-supported HTTP implementations of e-mail lists that
> process at nearly the speed of the mail distribution itself?  I am only
> somewhat familar with L-Soft's mail-to-HTTP mail archive gateway, but don't
> know the time-delay.

I don't know, but it seems to me that the L-Soft mail-to-HTTP archive
format is fairly fast, at least for my list.

> I consider the HTTP a "pull" technology; Usenet (Netnews) somewhat a
> hybrid, but mostly "push;" and e-mail a "push."

I agree on these definitions of "pull" and "push". I had also thought of
the one-way gate, mail to the newsgroup, but postings from the newsgroup
can't make it to the list. That might be a viable option as well in the
short term.

> At 13:57 7/25/97 -0600, you wrote:
> |We have had a gateway to the Newsgroups for several years now on Museum-L.
> This
> |gateway was setup so that users could access the postings with having their
> |e-mail box fill up.
> |
> |With the new browsers such as Netscape and Navigator being able to download
> |mail from a server, sort by threads, filter messages, etc., I am wondering if
> |the concept of a gateway to the Newsgroups is even viable anymore. Add on the
> |SPAM factor, I would estimate that 90% of the SPAM to the list originates
> from
> |the Newsgroup, and the SPAM filter with Listserv manages to catch 99% of the
> |attempted SPAM postings.

Thanks,

john

John Chadwick, system analyst
New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science
1801 Mountain Road NW
Albuquerque, NM 87104
[log in to unmask],     http://www.nmmnh-abq.mus.nm.us
phone: (505) 841-2843 FAX (505) 841-2866