Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 May 1998 18:01:42 -0400
>is there a naming tradition or format for lists.  I am trying to clean up
>our existing structure and would like to follow the rest of the universe.
>thanks.

There are a couple of conventions, but it appears that few people follow
them these days.  The ones I've noticed that are somewhat common are:

1) Moderated mailing lists end in "-M" (e.g. "BLUES-M").  Generally this is
used to distinguish two mailing lists with a similar function, one of which
is moderated and the other of which is not.

2) Mailing lists end in "-L" (e.g. "JAZZ-L").  This convention allows users
to identify mailing list mail relatively easily.  (One could have a Eudora
filter, for instance, that filters mail with "-L@" in the header into a
special 'mailing lists' folder.)

Generally, it's nice to have a name that will be readily recognizable as
coming from a mailing list.  Also, it's good to have a fairly short
name--because you'll have to type it in every time you issue a command
relating to the mailing list.

-jwgh