George Buckner <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 21:14:11 -0400
Eric:

>As you said, this is just another  tradeoff. What if I don't want to have
>"Review= Owner" but do want to hide the list of naughty people? What if I
>want to  keep the  list of  subscribers confidential,  but keep  the list
>header public? Finally, technically the list  of lists is a collection of
>list headers. How do  you want to archive your list if  it doesn't have a
>header? How is the database filled in, who is the owner, etc?

Actually Shahrukh and Peter have proposed some good approaches, but I'll add
another for what it's worth:

Create another review setting, say, Review=Secret which directs Listserv to
use another file (say, INFO) to be distributed when a review is requested by
a non-owner.  The listowner can always copy whatever he/she would like to
share from the header into the INFO file, so that part isn't an all or
nothing.  As for your second question, Review=Owner (and confidential=no)
already does that.

As for the List of lists, I don't presume to know how that works, only that
when one retrieves that list, one is given only three (count em) items on
each list: the network-wide ID, the list address, and a brief description.
Perhaps these items are extracted from the full header, but with a little
more planning there is no technical reason why there couldn't be an
alternate method of supplying them, and other needed items, to the List of
Lists.

I really don't want to rehash old arguments, and I don't presume to know the
implications of making changes to systems of which I know no internals.  I
only note that in this day and age this really should be a comparatively
minor technical issue, even if it does present problems in planning or
resource allocation.

A business decision, which I'm sure would be resolved soon enough if a)
customers kept bringing it up, and b) Listserv had any serious competition :)

George Buckner
Owner, Psyche-*