"Miroslaw J. Wiechowski" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 14:54:29 +0100
Message from Paul Russell [05:24 99-02-21 ]:

>I would take issue with the statement that the "-- " demarcation for
>signature blocks is widely used. A review of the archives of this list
>would seem to indicate that it used by less than half the participants,
>most of whom I would deem to be "smarter than the average email user".

Exactly. So much for "quasi-standards", "pseudo-standards" and
"wide acceptance"...

>A review of the archives of an internal list populated by "data
>processing professionals" showed an even lower usage rate. It may be
>"widely used" at some sites, but it doesn't seem to be "widely used"
>on a net-wide basis.
>
>There are numerous "netiquette" sources that provide guidelines for
>signatures, but, to the best of my knowledge, there are no formal
>standards. If I am mistaken, please cite the specific RFC, STD, or
>other standards document.

I tried to find any mention of "signatures" in the official
documents, but without any success.

Kind regards
mjw