Jim Gerland - User Support Services <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 14 Feb 1992 13:02:42 EST
On Fri, 14 Feb 1992 10:02:38 EST Howard Pasternack said:
>I am the local owner of a list which is being managed remotely from a
>non-VM system.
>
>I am now trying to document for the remote owner how to post or delete files
>using commands encapsulated in mail.

Here is a document I am developing for VMS Filelist owners.  Feedback is
welcome|

-----------------------VMS-FILELIST.OWNER---------------------------------

This file explains how to maintain a LISTSERV filelist from a VMS machine
that has the Jnet software installed.

Some notes before we begin:

(a) All filenames and filetype and listnames and passwords are limited to
    a maximun of 8 characters.
(b) All listfacs must be 3 characters.
( 1) You must get the LISTSERV Postmaster to create the files:
     listname FILEID
     listname FILELIST

( 2) listname FILEID should have only one line in it which has a 1 in
     column 1.

( 3) listname FILELIST should look similar to the following:

*  listname FILELIST for LISTSERV at UBVM.
*
*
*  This filelist contains a list of the SUNY at Buffalo
*  Academic Computing Services User Documentation available
*  from [log in to unmask]
*
*  If an entry shows nrecs=0  the file is not available.
*  Recfm x/A indicates ASA print control characters.
*
*  Lines flagged with a > in column 1 describe generic fileids,
*  not real files. The generic file lines are required to allow
*  storing new files matching the generic fileid.
*
*  This filelist may be sorted in columns 47 to 63 to get a list of files
*  in the order of their updates. Sorting in descending order shows the
*  most recently updated files at the top.
*
*
*+ listfac= GERLAND@UBVMS     Jim Gerland - UCS Postmaster
*+ listfac= GERLAND@UBVM      Jim Gerland - LISTSERV Postmaster
*+ listfac= PW= list-pw
*
*                   f         rec               last - change
* filename filetype   GET PUT -fm lrecl nrecs   date     time   File description
* -------- -------- - --- --- --- ----- ----- -------- -------- ----------------
------------------------
 /F/  listname  FILELIST   ALL listfac . . . . . This file

( 4) The LISTSERV Postmaster then uses the following command to get the
     LISTSERV FILELIST:

     TELL LISTSERV GET LISTSERV FILELIST (CTL

( 5) The LISTSERV Postmaster then edits LISTSERV FILELIST to add the
     following lines in the FAC (File Access Control) area:

*+ listfac= GERLAND@UBVMS    Jim Gerland - UCS Postmaster
*+ listfac= GERLAND@UBVM     Jim Gerland - LISTSERV Postmaster
*+ listfac= PW= list-pw
*

     and the following line in the files area:

/F/  listname  FILELIST   ALL listfac . . . . . This file

( 6) The LISTSERV Postmaster then uses the following commands to make this
     all work:

     LSVPUT listname FILEID (PUTC
     LSVPUT LISTSERV FILELIST
     LSVPUT listname FILELIST

( 7) Once this is done, the LISTSERV Postmaster can notify the List Owner
     who can then go to work placing files in this FILELIST.  List Owners
     should be aware that most sites consider disk space a precious
     commodity and so they should be conservative with what they place
     in the filelist and keep in constant contact with the LISTSERV
     Postmaster keeping him/her informed of the number and size of the
     files and amount of disk space being used.

( 8) The List Owner should get their own personal password for LISTSERV
     by using the following command:

     SEND LISTSERV@LISTNODE PW ADD personal-pw

( 9) Now the List Owner should use the following command to get the filelist
     to make changes to it:

     SEND LISTSERV@LISTNODE GET listname FILELIST (CTL PW=list-pw

(10) Once the file arrives, and the List Owner RECEIVEs it, it should be
     editted to add the following line at the top:

     PUT listname FILELIST LISTSERV (PW=personal-pw

     and the following line after the /F/ line:

     FILENAME FILETYPE ALL LIS . . . . . file description

(11) The List Owner can then use the following command to send the filelist
     back to LISTSERV for processing:

     SEND /FILE /NETDATA listname.FILELIST LISTSERV@list-node

(12) The List Owner should receive the following notification back from
     LISTSERV if everything was successful: