Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Dec 1992 17:49:55 +0100
On Fri, 4 Dec 1992 11:09:54 ECT Martin Raish <MRAISH@BINGVMB> said:

>I'm curious,  though, as to what  exactly LMail is, and  what errors are
>considered "permanent."

LMail  is a  mailer for  VM, index  the LMAIL-L  list at  SEARN for  more
information.  Errors are  classified  in  a number  of  categories and  a
numeric code  is associated  to each category.  LISTSERV takes  action on
codes which  indicate permanent errors,  such as  "no such user"  and "no
such node".

>   Disc quota exceeded = ??
>   Unable to connect for __ days = ??

There  would be  definitely not  permanent, although  LMail is  not in  a
position to  need to  issue this type  of errors. It  has other  types of
temporary or "unclear" errors, such as error in configuration file.

>I know that there are myriad error messages; how will listserv
>interpret them all?

LISTSERV only looks at the codes.  This works only with mailers that send
their  delivery errors  in  the special  format shown  in  the example  I
posted. For now this  means only LMail, hopefully MX will  do the same in
the foreseeable future. Don't expect Internet mailers to follow, the mere
thought  that  this  is  an  idea   from  Eric  Thomas  is  enough  of  a
justification to not only  not do it, but make sure  anybody who comes up
with a similar plot against  Internet values and the constitutional right
to the generation of unintelligible/unusable delivery error messages gets
stoned on the spot :-)

  Eric