Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 11:14:50 MST
Hey, guys, talk about overkill.  Yeah, I know Dave is a gunslinger....but...
I've dealt with a dozen internet providers personally (both locally and
otherwise) and not a one of them will refrain from killing an account
on a spammer.  Unless you are REALLY quick, your complaint will come to
the ISP well after they have already killed the account.  And, as in the
case of the abomb dude, in one of his messages he announced he was leaving
ISP a and moving to ISP b.  ISP a told b about it and he never got off the
ground there.  So of course he moved to c with his latest spam.

Saying you'll get penalized $100K or any ohter large sum is meaningless.
It reminds me of the olden days when I had to sign a "loyalty oath"
to say I wouldn't overthrow the government of the USA or the state of
California.  If I'm a traitor, I'm sure not going to hesitate to sign
an illegal document, am I?  Most of these spammers don't have enough
change in their pockets to rattle if you gave them the good shaking they
need.  You can't get blood from a stone and all that.  If they had any
brains or bucks, they'd have a real product, a real marketing plan, and
wouldn't be starting up these scams for the twenty or fifty bucks it takes
to get a new ISP.

So, lets keep on with the various methods of controlling our lists (for those
who want to)....and let Eric keep ahead of them with LISTSERV.  After all,
I'll bet the spam filter is one of the many reasons folks pay real bucks
to Lsoft instead of using one of the free lameo ripoffs.

cyclops

  Dan Lester                          Internet: [log in to unmask]
  Network Information Coordinator     WWW: http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
  Boise State University Library
  Boise, Idaho  83725                 How can one fool make another wise?
  208-385-1235                        Kansas, "No One Together," 1979