Allan Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:56:05 -0600
Hi all,

I own a fairly large list which currently averages about 10 messages
per day with "reply-to= sender" settings.  My guess is that a typical
message generates about 6 private replies.  The list etiquette is
that the original sender should summarize those private responses and
post them back to the list so everyone can learn the answer..

Of course, not every sender is conscientious enough to summarize
(only 1/3 to 1/2 do).  Also, not every sender writes an accurate,
understandable summary.

A little over half of the list users will be unable to handle 10
messages per day * 6 replies per message = 60 messages per day, and
thus the list users voted to maintain the "reply-to= sender" and
summary system.  However, a sizeable minority on the list would like
to see all replies, and this leads to my question.

My question:

Is it possible to set the "reply-to" on a list so that it defaults to
two addresses:  one would go to the sender, and the other would go to
a different, secondary e-mail list?  People interested in seeing all
the replies can subscribe to the secondary e-mail list.  Also, the
archives of the secondary list would be much more rich than the main
list (the main list receiving more questions than summaries)?

I'm open to other solutions that would allow a subset of list
subscribers to view responses while allowing all users to view the
primary content.  [I don't even know if all e-mail clients will
support multiple addresses on a reply-to line.]

Thanks for any ideas!

-Allan

----
Allan Berger, DVM, PhD  [log in to unmask]
VETPLUS & VETPROF co-adminstrator
Iowa City, IA  http://www.vetprof.com   http://www.BrEBT.com