Richard Childers <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 Jul 1992 09:34:54 PDT
"Then why  don't you spare  us the lecture  and just do  it? I mean,  if a
 cretin like me needed a few years to  do it on such a stone age operating
 system as VM,  it can't take an  intelligent person like you  more than a
 couple hours on a modern system."

I don't believe I offered any value judgements on you, VM or LISTSERV. I'm
unacquainted with VM, but I'd guess UNIX offers improvements, such as the
ability to shellscript, which represent evolutionary advantages. I am ac-
-quainted with LISTSERV, and it's a fine package that does what it is sup-
-posed to. I have no idea if you are a cretin or not, and I don't care to
know, either.

It might take a few hours to develop a shellscript, but that's what shell-
scripting is for ... prototyping software. It would continue to evolve for
years afterward. I doubt it actually took you a few years, unless you had
to write the mail delivery agent and develop all of the protocols as well.

One thing VM's LISTSERV has which my shellscript might not would be ability
to synchronize with other LISTSERVs. This, IMHO, is a good reason to wait
for the Standard.

Besides, the word is - according to this very list - that there already
*is* a Unix LISTSERV. The whole idea of Unix is not to have to reinvent
already-existent software, but, rather, to reuse existing modules.

>If there is an Internet group meeting  on the topic of LISTSERV, I would
>predict that  they are meeting  to agree on  a common command  syntax so
>that all  LISTSERVs behave  identically, much as  FTP and  telnet behave
>identically under diverse operating systems.

"The problem of  the group in question  is that it is  mostly comprised of
 (1) people whose  goal in life is  to tell other people how  to run their
 life and  the whole world  and (2)  people like you,  who talk a  lot but
 don't do much."

Well, Eric, since you aren't in any better position to know what I do than
I am to know whether you are a cretin or not, if I were you I would be less
forthcoming in my personal opinions, where they stray away from technology.
You haven't the slightest.

Right now, my goal is getting a PC running a BSD flavor of Unix at home.
After I have a suitable development environment, then, yes, you might see
a LISTSERV-like piece of software running on the net from my system - but
I would want it to conform to the burgeoning standard, and it is from this
standard that the people on this list are able to advise one another across
a range of operating systems.

-- richard

=====
-- richard childers		[log in to unmask]		1 415 506 2411
         oracle data center  --  unix systems & network administration

                   Klein flask for rent. Inquire within.