Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:56:17 -0600
On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Wayne T. Smith wrote:
> Winship wrote:
> >>I prefer not to have concealed members on my list and right now I have four.
> >>The command "set vwar-l noconceal for *.*" doesn't work.
> > It's *@*, not *.* .  I would strongly advise doing it QUIETly, though.
> I would strongly advise that you NOT change CONCEAL subscribers without
> their knowledge.

They may think it is important, but if REVIEW is restricted to listowner
it is a functionally meaningless option as the listwoner can see the
subscription, but no one else can, CONCEAL or not.  And then those with the
silly CONCEAL option will go and post to the list, blowing their "cover."

In, oh, about 12 years of quietly changing CONCEALs to NOCONCEAL for many
hundreds of subscribers, on several lists with REVIEW restricted to OWNER,
I have yet to get a single gripe.  They set it because it sounds "neat"
without understanding what it does.  Well, let them think of it as they
please, don't disabuse them of the harmless pleasure of thinking they are
pulling a fast one on the listowner.  CONCEAL makes no real difference to
the listowner, other than occaisional inconveniece.  They never do a QUERY,
but if do they likely won't realize the lack of mention of CONCEAL means
they are NOCONCEAL.  Do it QUIET. They aren't harmed, it saves you trouble,
everyone is happy.

Douglas Winship
winship*ccsi.com