Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 10:10:10 PST
On Tue, 31 Oct 95 15:07, Mentor Cana <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> >  Right after I sent the help! message to this list, I figured out that
>> >  the loop was caused by a bounced message from a domain *.nl
>> >  I had two subscribers from that domain. So I removed (I could have set
>> >  the nomail as well) them immediately from both lists. The problem went
>> >  away, however I'm expecting more error messages (those that still haven't
>> >  reached me).
>> >  I could have also used the REVIEW option for the both subscribers and
>> >  that would have solved the problem.
>>
>> Hmmm.  Since the list is 'SEND=EDITOR', rather than 'SEND=PRIVATE'
>> or 'SEND=PUBLIC', it's possible that your suggestion would *NOT* have worked.
>> After all, LISTSERV treated the "bounced" messages as being "authorized"
>> by the editor.
>
>  The option REVIEW seems to be more "powerfull". You can set an Editor
>  (wich is defined via the Editor= keyword) with the options REVIEW, and
>  his/her messages with be send to the moderator. I tested this and it worked.

It may have worked, but it is a fix to a different problem.

Since your subscriber was (accidentally? deliberately?) "bouncing" messages
back to your list, the header-tags LISTSERV will see are similar to:

> Sender:       "Global List Title" <[log in to unmask]>
> From:         XYZ-Global Editors  <[log in to unmask]>
> To:           Multiple recipients of list XYZ-L <[log in to unmask]>

Since the ID in the 'From:' line was valid, the message was posted,
and was delivered (instantly!) to your subscriber.  If the subscriber
"instantly" bounces the message back to the list, then, presumably,
the ID in the 'From:' line is still valid, and LISTSERV will (instantly)
re-distribute the same posting.