"P. Divirgilio" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Sep 1994 22:56:20 -0400
In a recent examination of the organization of my files, I discovered
that someone (without my knowledge) had made a copy of every file list
and placed it in a public access area along with my ftp. There are a
few other anomalies which I must deal with, but in essence I feel that
my list participants were compromised and that this is a very unfair
way because this meant that it was possible to "review" the list
without accessing the listserv and leaving a record of your
transaction. You need a review or info file to find out whether a
publically listed list is locked or limited in accessibility. I had
this problem with some where I wanted to improve my Dutch and Italian
in specific fields like medical informatics. Eventually, I managed to
make arrangements for the Dutch but not the Italian, but at least I
know why my request was not accepted. The lists were just simply
limited to certain institutions or to research groups which is quite
reasonable. Info files are really necessary to replace the review
which provides more information than I usually want to know. --Paul.
--

Dr. Paul S. di Virgilio,  University of Toronto  [log in to unmask]