Darren Evans-Young <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 May 2001 18:00:43 -0500
On Wed, 9 May 2001, Paul Russell wrote:

>When a LISTSERV server receives a command message containing multiple
>commands for local execution, or any command(s) which must be forwarded
>to another LISTSERV server for execution, the server should send a special
>confirmation request to the apparent sender to verify the origin of the
>message. If the confirmation response is not received within some specified
>time period, the entire request would be discarded. The threshhold number of
>commands which trigger this confirmation request should be configurable by the
>site administrator.

<snip>

>--
>Paul Russell
>Senior Systems Administrator
>University of Notre Dame

I definitely agree here. I've been dealing with this problem for the last
couple weeks. The spoofed listowner received thousands of confirmations
to his work address, then thousands of confirmation expirations later.
The solution was to serve his listowner address off for the weekend and
at night. We finally had to close the list due to 3-4 individuals who
could not get their way.

Darren Evans-Young,
University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa