Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 13:03:10 -0400
>Let me know what you think of the following excerpt from a message send by
>someone who the autodelete removed from my list.
>
>>> I forwarded your original message to my provider.  They had the same
>>> comment, that @ia.net is case sensitive.  I exchange mail with another
>>> individual daily and there has been no problem.
>
>I tried to explain that this is not true, but have met with the same response.
>I can't believe that someone would have a server whose name is case sensitive
>and expect to function on the net.  Ideas?  Am I confused?

Consulting my handy copy of RFC 822, I see:

> 3.4.7.  CASE INDEPENDENCE
>
>    Except as noted, alphabetic strings may be represented in  any
>    combination of upper and lower case.  The only syntactic units
>    which requires preservation of case information are:
>
>                -  text
>                -  qtext
>                -  dtext
>                -  ctext
>                -  quoted-pair
>                -  local-part, except "Postmaster"
>
>    When matching any other syntactic unit, case is to be ignored.
>    For  example, the field-names "From", "FROM", "from", and even
>    "FroM" are semantically equal and should all be treated ident-
>    ically.
>
>    When generating these units, any mix of upper and  lower  case
>    alphabetic  characters  may  be  used.  The case shown in this
>    specification is suggested for message-creating processes.
>
>    Note:  The reserved local-part address unit, "Postmaster",  is
>           an  exception.   When  the  value "Postmaster" is being
>           interpreted, it must be  accepted  in  any  mixture  of
>           case, including "POSTMASTER", and "postmaster".

Within context, this means that the stuff before the @ sign can be
case-sensitive (except in the case of postmaster@whatever), but most other
stuff (including domain names) cannot.

So basically your lack of belief is correct; they're free, of course, not
to follow RFC822 if they don't want to, but they shouldn't be surprised if
there are problems when they attempt to interact with the outside world.

-jwgh