Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 23:28:27 GMT
On Wed, 26 Feb 1997 15:41:26 -0800, Eric Paul-Hus
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>GET LIST (HDR
>to get only the header and avoid messing with the subscriptions lists.
>or better
>GET LIST (HDR NOL

This is not doubt a matter of opinion but I would NOT say that using the
NOLock option word is 'better'.

My reasoning is if you just GET listname (HEADER the list will be
automaticlly 'locked' by LISTSERV.  This prevents anyone from joining or
leaving or changing their SET options.  Usually the period while you
change the header is 5 min or less so this is not a real difficulty.

The great benefit however is that any attempt to PUT back anything
resembling an address (such as a .sig line that you forgot is added by
your 'helpful' mailer pgm) will be rejected by LISTSERV.  Thus the
2AAAAetc error from the line wrap could not occur, being prevented by
LISTSERV.

The manual recommends use of the NOLOCK option when the list has multiple
owners but after observing several cases recently where owners have
accidentally wiped out their list, I think the NOLOCK option should seldom
be used, and the owners should just communicate among themselves as to who
will do what and when.

I know, I've done it myself and now I never use the NOLOCK option while
making header changes.  I also always maintain a local copy of the list,
just as a backup in case ...
 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]