Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 14:05:36 -0400
>         It might be a *major* change in listserv, but a lot of the
> flexibilty that we're asking for would be easier to implement if there were
> seperate lists maintained of who received posts to a given list and who was
> allowed to send posts to the list.

There is a way to arrange this now.  You could have your basic list be for
read-capable subscribers, but also set up a 2nd list (let's call it
LIST-2 for illustration) that would identify post-capable subscribers.
Then you can have your basic list configured as follows:

   Send= Editor
   Editor= editor@address
   Editor= (LIST-2)

If anyone on your LIST-2 tries to post to your basic list, their messages
will go right through.  Anyone else who tries to post will have their
submissions sent to the individual editor.

I am assuming here that everyone who is on LIST-2 is already subscribed
to the basic list, so that they will receive the basic mailings along
with everyone else.  Also, the existence LIST-2 need not be known by the
readers.  They might merely be informed that the list-owner has some
technical means of distinguishing authorized posters vs. read-only
subscribers, and inquiries about that policy might be directed to the
list-owner.  (I mention this because attempts to explain the set-up above
to the readers might be unnecessarily confusing.)

-- Roger Burns    [log in to unmask]