Adam Lasnik <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 22:36:32 +0000
Okay... usually when someone asks for a utility or Perl string to extract
e-mail addresses, he or she is lookin' to do some naughty unsolicited bulk
mailing.

However (and you'll just have to trust me on this), I'm just looking to be
able to issue bulk set topic commands for my list.

WHAT HAPPENED:
1) I originally asked members to subscribe to my extra list topic
   themselves, using the set listname topics:+topicname command.
   Despite my explicit instructions, this seemed to be a difficult
   concept for most to grasp :|
2) Then I goofed up... doing

      set listname topics:+topicname for *@* (instead of user@*)

3) So I decided to start over and be a nice guy, signing up people for
   the extra topic myself.  I created a filter rule on my mail program,
   and now have about 600 e-mail addresses to add a topic for.

THE PROBLEM:
I tried to just add the string "set listname topics:+name for " to the
e-mail addresses, but Listserv choked... because so many of the addresses
had more than just [log in to unmask] :-(
i.e... "Jim Smith" <[log in to unmask]> and
jsmith ([log in to unmask]) and so on :-(

WHAT I HUMBLY ASK FROM YOU SMART FOLKS OUT THERE:
Can anyone suggest:
-- a utility
-- a Perl string
-- a tecnique in Microsoft Word or Win95 Write
...to enable me to extract from this list (and future lists) just

Thanks very much in advance for your help :-)

And hey... since I've gotten so much from this list, but haven't been able
to offer much back yet... if any o' you have questions about some stuff
*I* know a bunch about (Website, RealAudio, law school life, etc...) feel
free to e-mail me with your questions :-)

Thanks again for your time :)

 ADAM | Publisher of the "Smile List" (e-mail [log in to unmask])
 ---- | and the AdamPages website w/ RealAudio music, pictures,
  :-) | humor, Live Chat, and much more at http://pobox.com/~smile