Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 30 Apr 1995 16:34:15 -0500
> At the prompting of some of the subscribers, I've been considering
> changing 'Reply-to=List,Respect' to 'Reply-to=List,Ignore'.  Since
> most lists seem to have the 'Respect' setting, I'm worried that I may
> be overlooking good reasons not to change it.  If any of you can think
> of cons of the 'Ignore' setting, please let me know.  Thanks.
>    --Natalie ([log in to unmask])

        Hi, Natalie.  If I understand the functioning of "respect" and
"ignore," I would not want to make the change you're proposing.  When I
send mail to a list, I will add a "reply-to" header with my personal
address so that list members who simply hit "reply" will send their message
back to me rather than to the list.  I do that when I think either that the
replies will be primarily of interest to me, or may be flames that I'd like
to keep off my list.  I also strongly encourage people to add such reply-to
headers if they're planning to send a survey to the list.  The last thing
most lists need are a hundred survey responses sent to the list.

        As I understand it, if my list were set to Reply-to=List,Ignore,
listserv would IGNORE individuals' reply-to headers and would send ALL
that List,Respect makes possible.

        If I've misunderstood the way this feature works, I'm sure someone
will let me know. :-)

        Joan

*       Joan Korenman                 Internet: [log in to unmask]     *
*       U. of Md. Baltimore County    Bitnet:   korenman@umbc               *
*       Baltimore, MD 21228-5398                                            *
*    The only person to have everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe  *