Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 07:07:03 +0200
Currently this  isn't networked. The problem  is that if you  network it,
you may  be looking at hundreds  (and, in a year,  possibly thousands) of
redundant alerts. For a spam, this  is legitimate, because of the cost of
the spam to the LISTSERV site (not just the hardware but all the manpower
wasted answering  flames) is so  enormous that there's  basically nothing
short of sending a spam yourself that would end up costing you less. Even
if it were to take a thousand alerts to block the spam, it would still be
cheaper than  letting it  through. Plus,  spam is  time critical,  so you
really want all the alerts you can get from as many high-speed servers as
possible. A spoofed subscription on the  other hand doesn't cost all that
much for the LISTSERV site, and if it takes you a few hours to cancel it,
so what. The victim will be flooded with Majordomo mail for weeks to come
anyway.

Again, my hope is  that someone will be sued for this  and that this will
make the headlines, and then people will stop. Unlike spam, it's a simple
legal case,  and I  can certainly  see how shops  like AOL  or CompuServe
would offer free  legal support to establish a precedent.  It must not be
fun for them when the victim is one of their customers.

  Eric