Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 10:14:38 -0600
On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Adam Bailey wrote:

>On 2/27/00 8:52 PM, Michael Holloway <[log in to unmask]> wrote...
>
>>>Suggest they use your LISTSERV's web interface, if you have one. Problem
>>>solved, other than the fact that they're paying money to a horde of
>>>clueless idiots.
>>
>>You really do need confirmation for subscribing and sign-off these days for
>>a public list.  Lot's of idiots out there who don't hesitate screwing around
>>with other people's e-mail addresses for fun.
>>
>>And, just so as to be certain this isn't lost on anyone, without the ability
>>to receive command responses you can't use a list that uses confirmations.
>
>He said he'd subscribe the person, but that they wouldn't be able to
>later change options or unsubscribe. The Web interface does that.

Just to reinforce this point yet once again, since it doesn't seem to
have sunk in, without the ability to receive command reponses you
can't use a list that *requires* confirmations.

(for instance, "Validate= Yes, Confirm, NoPW")

With the settings above, the web interface cannot be used for signing
on or off because the passwords on which it depends are not accepted
for validation.  They could still use it to manage their list
settings, unless the list were also configured to require
confirmations on *those* (which would be overkill, in my humble
opinion).

Dennis