Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:58:34 -0500
At 10:52 11/28/2000 Tuesday, Stan Horwitz wrote:
 >On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Hessels, Peter A.M. (EBI) wrote:
 >
 >> We've just started using Lsoft, in the Listplex version.
 >> I want to use thsi list to send information in HTML to a group. But sadly,
 >> not all recipients will be able to read html-information and will want to
 >> receive plan text mails.
 >> I think it's OK to send two different mails to the different users, but how
 >> can I make a distinction between these two usergroups, so I can send my
 >> text-message to text-users and my HTML-message to the HTML-users?
 >
 >Just off the top of my head, have two separate lists. Use one list for
 >those who prefer the HTML content andd the ohter list for those who prefer
 >the standard text content.
End Reply

Other potential strategies:

1) a mail client such as Eudora allows the sender to send both
simultaneously (assuming that the list keywords don't have LANGUAGE=
NOHTML); recipients' ability to process is another matter

2) If you have WEB-enabled archives, this IS by definitoin, HTML (perhaps
not the context which applies)

3) mix n' match -- user subscribes in INDEX HTML format and gets a daily
index in their inbasket and then clicks on appropriate embedded URLs to
view via their BROWSER

4) ????

/Pete