Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 14:30:38 -0500
Ari Genauer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been the owner of a list for two years but with my college graduation
> this May i'd like to transfer control (ownership) of the list to someone
> else.  How do I give somebody else this priveledge and simultaneously
> remove myself.
>
> Thanks alot,
>
> Ari Genauer

1. Edit the list header and add an 'Owner=' statement for the new owner. Do
    *NOT* remove yourself as an owner. Save the updated list header.

2. Have the new owner update the list header to remove you as an owner.

This two-step process will ensure that there is always at least one owner who
is able to manage the list. If you add the new owner and remove yourself as
owner, in one fell swoop, but make a typo in the new owner's address, neither
of you will be able to manage the list.

Check your host site's list policies regarding ownership changes. Our policy
allows students to own lists, but requires a faculty/staff co-owner. We have
not taken the time to verify that every existing list has a faculty/staff
co-owner, but we do enforce the policy on new lists, and on existing lists
which come to our attention.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator