Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:21:03 -0500
On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Peter Rauch wrote:

> > > We now learn you are on an
> > > intranet; what does that mean? I.e., does that mean that only
> > > folks with access to your intranet have "public" access to your
> > > list's archive?
> >
> > To the web site providing access to archive.
>
> You still need the appropriate LISTSERV access permissions for
> that list.
>
> > > Does that mean that "one idiot" is inside your
> > > intranet?
> >
> > No. It means that the "idiot" has e-mail access to the Listserv server
> > itself, which I presume is connected to the Internet.  It wouldn't
> > make any sense for it not to be.  (Am I correct, Douglas?)
>
> But, he also needs appropriate access permissions to the list's
> archive.

Not if the archives are "public".  By definition, that means anyone
can access them.

<sigh>

> > >  Who is the "general public" as distinct from the
> > > "public" NOTEBOOK of your list? How are they "filtered"?
> >
> > They're not filtered; there's no way to do it except for a
> > "special purpose" firewall; that seems to be his problem.
>
> He said they were "filtered". Is he using SERVE (off), FILTER=,
> SERVICE=, NOTEBOOK= (only-these-folks), etc? If not, would any
> combination of these features work?

the FILTER= keyword is what keeps these subscribers from joining his
particular list, and he said "Filter header" in his first message, so
that is what he is using.  It restricts the addresses from
subscribing, but not from doing e-mail searches of the "public" list
archives.

Dennis