homo obsolescensis <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 May 1992 10:12:50 PDT
>But in the bounced mail I forwarded to lstown-l, there did not
>seem to be any missing angle brackets.  Each left angle bracket

What he meant was that one of the other machines was munging your
(perfectly correct) message during the process of parsing the headers.
In other words it was losing a > internally.

Btw, re: your other message, yes "unbalanced" doesnt occur in either
822, 819, or 822. 501 is a generic SMTP syntax error to which individual
smpt-servers add whatever actual error message is necessary.
"unbalanced >" would be supplied by one of the parsers betwixt you and
your recipient.

>Which mail system configuration file needs attention?

I got curious also and asked which system needed attention and he
responded with the following

>"Im a bit confused: which system needs changing, bjoh.loc.gov,
> uga.cc.uga.edu, or iubvm.bitnet?"
>
>Good question. I think it might be uga.cc.uga.edu, now that you mention
>it, although "<@uga.cc.uga.edu:[log in to unmask]>" may be the address
>that is being parsed _by_ bjoh.loc.gov, in which case it would be the
>latter. I'd have to study the header more carefully than I did to be
>sure, and see exactly which system the error returned from.
>
>My intuitive feeling, based on my recollection of the problem, was that
>the error was being returned _only_ from mail addressed to the user at
>bjoh.loc.gov, and I seem to recall it was coming from loc.gov, which may
>or may not be a gateway separate from bjoh.loc.gov - in which case, it
>would be the latter, as described above.

Yours,
walter henry