Wed, 2 Oct 2002 22:27:26 -0500
On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Eric Thomas wrote:
> The upcoming level set will have the old separators back when using
> GETPOST ... NOMIME. It will also allow you to request NOMIME format via
> the listname-search-request address by typing in a line saying just
> NOMIME, anywhere in the response. ...

Thank you.  Now, if I recall correctly, Ben Parker said there were two
upcoming level sets, one with new features not included in 1.8e, and a
later one with fixes.  If that is correct, will this NOMIME  fix be in the
first or the second level set?

My subscribers, and people on lists to which I subscribe, will be glad of
having the option, but I wonder, could this be made something which could
be a changeable list default?  For example, if the list has Attachments= No
the default is GETPOST is always NOMIME, while if attachments of any
description are allowed, the list default is MIME. Or, while GETPOST is a
command, not a mail option, could it be linked to options such as
MIME/NOMINE HTML/NOHTML?  It seems to me that if a person has his mail
options set NOMIME, he would most likely want the output of GETPOST, hence
the output of ordering using the daily INDEX, to also be NOMIME. Could you,
in future, link GETPOST to who the subscribers mail options are set?

Also, thank you for restoring the posting numbers, when one specifies
NOMIME; they do serve as a useful demarcation.  However, I wonder why they
are restored only if one specifies NOMIME.  If one is looking at a large
number of items, with the same sbuject line, several of which are from the
same person, the posting numbers are very handy identifiers, whether one
gets GETPOST output as MIME or NOMIME.  Without the numbers one has to
count how many postings into a large GETPOST output a particular item is,
then look at a separate piece of email and try to match to the numbers.
Only then can one tell a subscriber what number to use in his GETPOST to
retrieve a particular item.  It seems to me those posting numbers are just
as useful regardless of how one receives GETPOST output.

Douglas Winship