"Glenn A. Malling" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 09:30:51 -0500
[log in to unmask] said:

> Create a *moderated* newsgroup, with <listname>@host.domain as the
> moderator. [log in to unmask] would be subscribed to the list as
> usual.

> Someone posts to the newsgroup, the message is sent to the list for
> "approval". Message is distributed via normal listserv mechanics,
> including to [log in to unmask], which sees it as coming from "the
> moderator" (<listname>@host.domain), and so posts it properly.

That is *exactly* how we run the NOVELL list, 3,500+ subscribers,
80+ postings per day.  It ensures that the tail (usenet) can not
wag the dog (the mailing list).  We take the view that the news
feed is a convenience for those who prefer their news reader to
their mail program.  BTW NOVELL is also Send= Private so those
who want to use their news reader have to subscriber and set NOMAIL
in order to participate.  There was a little squawking in the begining
but that has died out.

--
Glenn A. Malling <[log in to unmask]>
Syracuse University Computing Services   +1 (315) 443-4111

Postmaster for SUnix and LISTSERV.