Sun, 26 Apr 1992 18:53:11 CDT
> not that this is particularly significant, but, what's the neiman marcus
> cookie story????????????

There has been a story floating around for about a year now that some woman
(at least in most versions it was a woman) who went to some restaurant in
Texas and had a cookie for dessert.  She thought it was so good she asked
for the recipe.  The waiter told her there would be a two-fifty charge, to
which she agreed.  Then, supposedly, when she got her credit card bill,
it was for $250 (plus the price of her meal).  Well she thought it was a typo
and called but they said noooo....it really was $250 and nonrefundable.  So
she declared that she would disseminate the recipe all over creation.  Well,
I have seen it printed in about 18 places so far, so I think she is doing
a good job!
Unfortunately, the story is a lie, made up by one of Neiman-Marcus'
competitors to ruin their name.  On the contrary, I would imagine, it
has given them worldwide fame so far.
Besides, how stupid would a person have to be to sign a restaurant credit
card receipt without looking at the amount?  If this woman actually did
that, she deserved what she got.
In any case, the cookie story was posted with at least 150 lines of mail
forwarding headers to my list, where it had no business being posted at all.
If it hadnt been for the headers (a little judicious EDITING, please!) I
might have let it be, but it just irked me so much that I deleted the
user from the list and set the list to Send=Editor (c'est moi) to avoid
such nonsense in the future.  Cookie stories belong in some obscure netnews
group, not on any and every listserv list one feels like propagating them
to.  It's almost like a chain letter.
:set soapbox off.

Ok, Im done :)

Jim Marco