Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 15:15:15 PST
On Thu, 13 Mar 1997 16:57 -0500, Cliff Baynon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have a question.... Is there any way to change the daily mailing list
> digests to be called something other than "digests" ???

Several Internet domains have registered usage of the word "digest":

   Computer Digest Ltd. <DIGEST.COM>
   Digest Business and Law Journal <LAWDIGEST.COM>
   Digest Group Publications <DIGESTGROUP.COM>
   Digest Group Publications <DGP.ORG>
   Digest Quest <DIGESTQUEST.COM>

and you have another "competitor" for the usage of the word 'digest',
namely, the Internet RFC #1153, dating from 1990.

Reference: ftp://ftp.cs.ubc.ca/pub/archive/doc/rfc/rfc1153.txt
+---
! Network Working Group                                          F. Wancho
! Request for Comments: 1153                                          WSMR
!                                                               April 1990
!
!                          Digest Message Format
!
! Status of this Memo
!
!    This memo describes the de facto standard Digest Message Format.
!    This is an elective experimental protocol.  Distribution of this memo
!    is unlimited.
!
! Background
!
!    High traffic volume large mailing lists began to appear on the net in
!    the mid-70s.  The moderators of those lists developed a digest
!    message format to enclose several messages into one composite message
!    for redistribution to the mailing list addressees.  This format
!    reduces the mailer load in proportion to the number of messages
!    contained within a digest message, and conserves network bandwidth by
!    reducing the size of the headers of the enclosed messages.
!
!    This RFC documents the digest message format so that others may
!    follow this format in creating (digestifying) and separating
!    (undigestifying) digest messages to maintain compatibility with the
!    programs expecting this de facto standard.  Any editorial functions
!    performed at the discretion of a digest moderator, such as discarding
!    submissions, editing content to correct spelling and punctuation
!    errors, inserting comments, and reformatting paragraphs to conform to
!    width conventions are beyond the scope of this memo.
!
!    This memo describes the de facto standard Digest Message Format.  It
!    is not meant to supersede nor replace the generic message
!    encapsulation format described in RFC 934.  It merely documents a
!    particular message encapsulation format that existed well before RFC
!    934 was published and continues to be the format of choice for digest
!    messages.
!
! ... <<SNIP by KLASSEN>> ...
+---