F J Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 20 Aug 2016 00:38:25 +0000
I've had to edit archives (using the old email method) because confidential information was released,  because a local discussion list had essentially defamed a local merchant and a few other reasons.  Recently I did it again because a phish had somehow gotten through (this time the little trash can, which I wanted to test anyway).  It is not something I care to do, and I've had to do it only a handful of times, but owners should know how to do this when necessary, even though they (also) should avoid doing it to the extent possible.  I certainly would not have it known to any significant extent the archives even could be edited.

Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 7:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Delete email from archive

A few decades ago, it seems, when I first began as a listowner, I bought into the idea that it’s really bad to start editing archives. There is, I thought then and still think, likely to be no end of people looking back, discovering something they said that they shouldn’t have, and asking a listowner to delete it. It’s of course particularly tough when people responded to it and included it in their message – but even when it’s an isolate, it seems to me sending a really bad precedent. I made it a rule I’d never do that, because I didn’t want to become the custodian of the past. – and thus responsible for everything that remained on the archive.

-- Russ