Paul Karagianis <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 16:31:09 -0400
On 14 Jun 2000, at 15:18, Tom Rawson wrote:

>On 14 Jun 2000, Winship wrote:
>
>> You seem to be talking archive seraching via a web site.  Have you tried
>> doing the same search via email while you get the errors for the web
>> searching?
>
>You are right and that is the one thing I haven't tried.  I will get the
>user to try to do it when he finds things down.  However if that works it
>points to a problem in the web interface, but I still would not be sure
>what to do about it.

In most cases this is seen infrequently on less than 1% of our lists
(that I'm aware of... it could be much worse) and either disappears
before I can look for it, or is visible as a missing current ind* file
in the WWW subtree.  The file can be recreated by a get/put cycle on
the header, which I've verified can be done by the owner (which I didn't
expect to work).  It's a nuisance that's been around for years.

Your user reports SJU's WWW interface as "constantly" going down around
noon, which doesn't match the problem we do see, or correlate with the
logs which show massive usage by others.

A side issue is that this does, as you've suggested, smell like a timing
or software collision issue, but since we don't really know the specifics,
there's no good reason to suspect Listserv over the WWW software.

                                                -Kary