Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 12:08:06 -0400
I needed to do some analysis of the subscriber lists for some of the
mailing lists at my site, so I learned perl and wrote a script to do it.

It creates a bunch of html documents in nested directories that look like
the following:

>TEST-L has 17 subscribers.
>
>Those subscribers are from the following subdomains:
>
>     15              COM
>     2               EDU
>
>A list of the subscribers is also available.

Then if you click on COM you get:

>TEST-L has 15 subscribers with domains ending in COM.
>
>Those subscribers are from the following subdomains:
>
>     5               EARTHWEB.COM
>     4               MAILEXCITE.COM
>     1               DEVELOPER.COM
>     1               ENTERACT.COM
>     1               INTERCOM.COM
>     1               MAESTRO.COM
>     1               MINDSPRING.COM
>     1               PENIS.COM
>
>A list of the subscribers from COM is also available.
>
>Go up a level

And so on.

It tries to deal with international addresses intelligently, but it is not
altogether successful in doing so.

It's my first big perl program so there are doubtless some pretty ugly
things about it.  Since it creates a file for every domain and subdomain
there are subscribers from, the resultant files can take up a fair amount
of disk space.  For similar reasons it takes a while to run (this may also
be due to my inexperience in programming).

Is anyone interested in looking at it?  It's 355 lines, about 120 or so of
which are comments.  I'd mail it to LSTOWN-L itself (for archival purposes
if nothing else), except that it seems a bit large for that.

Thanks,
jwgh