Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 08:54:11 -0700
On Wed, 7 Apr 1999 09:34:30 -0500, Gary Klass <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Recently I sent a message directly to a subscriber who used the Eudora
>redirect option to send a message back to the list.  It went out directly
>to the list with the "from" header below:
>
>"Gary Klass (by way of tangela williams <[log in to unmask]>)"
>
>This represents a serious security problem, in this case especially because
>the message contained the happy99.exe virus.
>
>Is anyone else aware of this happening?

This is the way Eudora's 'redirect' has always worked and it it very
non-standard per the usual mail standards RFCs.  I suggest you change the list
header to Send= Editor,Hold

Then all you need do is reply to the confirmation message that LISTSERV sends
you with the one word 'OK'

With Send= Editor , LISTSERV sends you the entire message and you must resend it
back to LISTSERV with the proper 'resent-' header lines.  Eudora cannot do this.

With Send= Editor,Hold  LISTSERV retains the original of the message, sends you
a 'request for confirmation' to which you reply OK (which Eudora will do nicely)
and then LISTSERV releases the message.