Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:49:45 +0200
On 10 Feb 99, at 9:24, Mike Furbee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I also used to "LOUD" delete people as opposed to quiet delete them.  I
> made a few mistakes and deleted a couple of people whose delivery problems
> were transient and not permanent as I thought.  Of course they were
> outraged and I had to spend more time reassuring them that they were
> welcome on the list.  I now just quiet delete anyone that looks like they
> have permanent mail problems.

I delete non-quietly ONLY in the case of removal due to bounced
messages.
If I delete due to a request from the subscriber, I inform the subscriber in
a reply to his/her request. If it is due to persisting violation of the posting
rules, I give no explanation (but I remove only after a warning was
ignored).

In the case of removing addresses due to bounced messages I delete
non-quietly, but I changed the MAILTPL file in the following manner:
-------quoted part of the mailtpl file ----------------
>>> DELETE1 Your removal from the &LISTNAME list
.re owners
&WEEKDAY, &DATE &TIME

You have been removed from the &LISTNAME list (&TITLE) by
&MBX(&WHOM).

If you are getting this message, and do not get any explanation for your
removal, then you should check with the list owner (&MBX(&WHOM)).
List owners will not remove subscribers without giving them an
explanation, unless the reason for the removal is the fact that messages
from &LISTNAME were bounced with an error message from that
address for more than a few days.

BTW, this is a correct statement. I do not remove addresses unless the
bounces persist for at least 4 (out of 5) days.
I do not count on servers that tell me that the error message is
permanent, as I know too many cases where temporary error message
claimed to be permanent.

Uzi