Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:08:11 -0500
On 1 Apr 99, at 15:59, Fitzmaurice, Frank wrote:

> Announcements are
> usually no more frequent than once a month. I believe we have several
> lists that meet this profile at DTIC. Currently the list is setup with:
> Auto-Delete= Yes,Semi-Auto,Delay(4), Max(100)

If you are posting only once a month, then no subscription will ever get
auto-deleted with this setting.

I would recommend:
Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-Auto,Delay(45),Max(2)

This would auto-delete any subscription that bounces 2 months in a
row. (I use 45 because you said "approximately" monthly, so this gives
you a little more lee-way in posting rather than using exactly 31).

What that says is that if within a period of 45 days, I get 2 bounces from
this address, it will be auto-deleted. If it bounces one month, but not the
following month, then the auto-delete log will get cleared. If you want to
be more conservative, then you could up the Max. It doesn't clear the
count of bounces until it's gone 45 days without a bounce, so if you use
Delay(45),Max(3), then it would have to bounce for 3 months in a row.
Of course if 2 bounces came, one on day 1 and one on day 45, that
would also auto-delete it, because the Delay variable really gets used in
2 ways...

You generally do not want passive probing to do 100% of your list at a
time. The trouble with passive probing is that it takes much more
resources, because it has to send out a separate message for each
recipient. So on a large list, you want it to probe a certain percentage
each time. Nevertheless, with a low posting frequency, you probably
don't want to use the default for passive probing. I would recommend:

Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-Auto,Delay(45),Max(2),Probe(10)

To get 10% of the list each month.

If you want to start out with a very aggressive passive probing, just to
clean out your lists quickly, you could start out with

Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-Auto,Delay(45),Max(2),Probe(3)

for 3 months to get 1/3 of the list probed each month, and then settle in
to the more conservative probing after that. I wouldn't do this to all your
lists at the same time, because of the resource usage.

Does that help?

Francoise