Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 00:01:51 +0100
On Mon,  6 Feb  1995 13:07:34  CST Rich  Winkel <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>I notice  roadmap@ua1vm now  has over 17,000  subscribers. This  must be
>quite a load on their 3090. Is there an upper limit?

The TOPTEN list had 44202 last time  I checked it, and it's currently the
largest single  (non-peered) list. It  is growing  very fast, I  think it
gained about 10000 in under a month.  The upper limit for VM would be the
amount of virtual storage you can make available to LISTSERV (a very real
limit for S/370 sites), and of course the amount of mail your machine can
deliver. Otherwise  LISTSERV uses all sorts  of algorithms to be  able to
handle large lists effortlessly. You may have seen the Windows NT figures
for a 100,000 subscriber list on a 90MHz Pentium system:

> (QUIET) ADD:    min=0.06 sec, max=0.88 sec, typical=0.2 sec
>
> (QUIET) DELETE: min=0.05 sec, max=0.84 sec, typical=0.8 sec
>
> Multiply by about 2.5 for 486/66 figures, or divide "max" figures by 10
> for  10,000  subscribers.   This  again  is  for   a  hundred  thousand
> subscribers.

UGA is  the largest LISTSERV  sites in terms  of distributed mail  and it
delivers up to a million messages a day.

  Eric