"Lail, Jack" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 03:26:27 -0400
There is a free Web site that lets your create short URLS out of long ones.
www.tinyurl.com

-- jack lail

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Shannon [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 11:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Long URLs being truncated

>Greetings,
>   With the recent security patches from Microsoft being sent out, I'm
>having a problem posting the URL to one of our lists.  The first
>72 characters I can click on, but the other 15 characters are on a
>separate line and doesn't seem to be considered part of the URL.  I
>thought it might be the mailer (sendmail), but I get the broken up URL
>even on the "confirmation required" mailing.  Is there an option in
>listserv to tell it not to wrap at 72 characters?

Joe

LISTSERV is designed to pass the e-mail body unaltered so it's highly
unlikely that it is the one hard-wrapping the text.  Check your e-mail
client settings.  Many of them have an option to insert a line break at xx
number of characters.  For instance the client I use can be set to either
hard-wrap text -or- flow long lines and allow the OS to decide where to
soft-wrap them within the display window; in my case I choose to hard-wrap
at 76 chars.  Similarly, not all receiving mail clients can display long
URLs across more than one line; this is something you've got no control
over.

I believe RFC2646 touches on this problem although the solution may be
somewhat elusive.  One option I've heard of is to enclose the URL within
angle brackets:

<http://this.is.an/example.html>

Apparetnly this helps to prevent MS mail clients from logically breaking
URLs across multiple lines but I can't be 100% certain.  YMMV.

--
Regards,
 Michael Shannon

 Chazzozz!!

 LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.

 By the way ...

 L-Soft's Training & Consulting Group offers its next formal public
 training in Landover, Maryland USA
 the week of 2003 Oct 27-31 (Monday-Friday).

 Interested? http://www.lsoft.com/pubtraining.html