Adam Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 02:56:58 -0500
On 4/13/01 10:28 PM, Glenn Darwin <[log in to unmask]> wrote...

>But, why would AOL parse the header for where the e-mail originated before it
>hit listserv?

Because AOL has no way of knowing if a message went through a MLM. A
forged Received line is a forged Received line, wherever it appears.

>Why do they consern themselves with every hop before the connect
>to AOL?

So it's okay if I attempt to forge my dialup IP, so long as I relay
through a server that identifies itself properly? Forgery is forgery.

>So what if one of my subscribers is running their own e-mail server.

Running mail servers on dialup is a common way to send abusive mail. Many
sites block mail directly injected from a dialup.

--
Adam Bailey    | Chicago, Illinois
[log in to unmask] | Finger/Web for PGP