Ed Price <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 15:05:33 -0500
At 10:48 AM 1/20/97 -0800, you wrote:

>>Ed
>
>I've been getting more and more junk mail - people trying to sell me
>something.  How do you stop it?  I've followed their instructions to reply
>with unsubscribe or whatever code word they say, but I keep getting this
>stuff, and I'm wondering if it's because I'm gatewayed through some list -
>perhaps *this* one.
>
>Phil

        I'm afraid your guess is as good as mine on this.  I'm seeing the same
thing.and it elevates my blood pressure.

        I guess in the end no address is safe on the NET.  Subscribers used to be
able to access our subscribers list with rev listname but after 'scammers'
began to - subscribe, do a 'rev listname' then 'unsubscribe' we changed to
limiting subscriber access to just the header via rev listname as well as
requiring a  'cookie" or new subscriber response before accepting a new
subscription.

Incidentally you can now tell when a web site is requesting a 'cookie'
(taking down your address) if you have set up Netscape 3 to do this.  I'm
not sure about earlier versions.  Very interesting to see how frequently
this is required for access.  Don't ask this Perpetual Newbie How? or How
to get around it..

Wish we could corner the market on 'del' keys.

Ed