Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 13:28:12 EDT
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 12:29:34 -0500 you said:
>On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Nathan Brindle wrote:
>
>> >Possibility of getting it in the future?
>>
>> If I recall correctly this has been discussed before and the answer was
>> "probably not".
>
>Is there a fundamental reason why?  I see this as a great improvemnt,
>especially for those of us who run lists that we want to control who
>subscribes (to make sure they have a full name when they subscribe, to
>make sure they aren't a troublemaker that has obtained another address to
>get around the filter lines etc), but still what the 'confirm' option so
>that we don't subscribe addresses that aren't mailable (or where someone
>wants to subscribe [log in to unmask] and their outgoing mail is
>[log in to unmask]) and then later on they can't unsubscribe, change
>options etc.

All I can do is refer you to the list's archives.  I will make the point
that the entire concept of "By Owner" subscription implies that the list
owner is going to take more than a passing interest in who is subscribing
to the list.  If the list owner is not willing to do that, and is simply
adding the people to the list without further comment, you're just as
well off using Subscription= Open,Confirm.  For instance Ben and I have
a list where we use a subscription questionnaire (via the ADDREQ1 template
form) which to a certain degree performs a confirm operation for us (the
reason being that anyone trying to spoof someone else onto the list will
generate a questionnaire which gets sent to the person they are trying
to spoof).  So there are ways to do this, just not with a ",Confirm"
parameter (and they have been discussed before, I'm pretty sure, on this
list).  ADDREQ1 doesn't have to be a questionnaire, it can be as simple
as "please respond to listname-request to confirm this subscription request,
or simply disregard this message".

>Also can anyone explain how the two lists I *did* subscribe to do it so
>that there was a confirm, and then it was passed to the listowner to
>subscribe me?

They probably have a copy of 1.8c with a known bug in the WEB_BROWSER_CONFIRM
subsystem and it probably thinks your mail client is a web browser mail
client.

Nathan