Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:06:36 -0700
It is a common-interest list -- for people who own labrador retrievers.
That encompasses a wide range of people, from pet owners to breeders, to
various competitors (obedience, hunting, etc).  It also encompasses a wide
variety of folks, not all with much respect for  difference of opinion,
academic standards, and the like.  Opinions can be quite fierce at times,
and at others, someone may malign a particular breeder or kennel or fellow
competitor and such.

When I first started the list, the archives gave me more headaches than
anything else, so I finally said the hell with it, deleted it, and never
looked back.  Never regretted it.  I do agree that gaining a "context" of
what's been discussed before could be helpful, but there are extensive help
and faq files available, and that's worked fine.  This (obviously) ain't
some fancy scholarly list (although as a former phd grad student, I know
those can get contentious too!  just not quite in the same way...)

Moderation might have been one answer, however with list volume and
subscriber levels being what they have been, I could never have kept up with
things, so I restrict reviews to new subscribers (I weed out a suprising
number of advertisers that way) and let the list go as it will otherwise.

--Cindy