Barbara Passmore <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:36:26 -0500
> Depending upon your "pain" sensitivity, new subscribers could have a new
> default list-option of
>
> DEFAULT-OPTIONS= REVIEW
>
> In fact several of the lists that I manage does have that option.  Then
> as time and circumstances allow, we manually issue:
>
> QUIET SET listname NOREVIEW FOR good_poster@host
           --- Pete Weiss

Hi,

I have all new subscribers set by default to NOPOST.  They are advised by
Listserv upon subscribing that they will not be able to post until they
furnish certain information to the listowner by message to the
listname-request@....
The information required is their physical address, telephone number and
email address. I have a file on my computer to which the address message is
filtered. The email address is required since they from time to time change
ISP's.  When I review the information, if there is no problem, they get set
to post.  I was advised when I instituted this procedure that it would have
a chilling effect, but I continue to get new subscribers.  I tell them also
that failure to send the information will be assumed to mean they do not
want or need posting privileges, and that they will continue to get the
messages regardless.

Those subscribed at the time the procedure was adopted were exempted from
the nopost, but if and when they get new subscriptions by reason of  change
of ISP etc., they are then in the same position as a new subscriber and must
furnish the info. (I also advise them that I will not post for anyone.)

I have had no problems since the adoption of that procedure.  We now have
about 50% more subscribers than we had at that time.  I have had no
objections from new subscribers.

I realize that with very large lists, this would not work because of the
manual work involved.  But I hope it is of some help, because with open
subscriptions, an interloper gets one free shot no matter what (unless you
have them successfully filtered, of course).  Hope this is of some help.

Barbara Passmore