Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:56:31 EST
On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:53:56 EST <[log in to unmask]> said:
>  We have had a virus scare and maybe a real virus sent on an attached file
>to our list.  We have files=no in our header.  How do we (can we?) not allow
>attached files to be distributed by Listserver?  We are using v1.8c.  Thanks.

As documented, "Files= No" has absolutely no effect on non-VM servers.
It refers to a specific type of file that can be sent on BITNET but not
on the Internet.  It is retained only for backwards compatibility for
sites migrating from VM to other architectures but otherwise is not
useful for blocking MIME attachments.

Setting the Sizelim= keyword to a low value (somewhere in the 150-200
line range) may help you reject attached files (but it won't help for
short ones and you don't want to set this value too low or you'll end
up rejecting legitimate mail).

Nathan