Listserv Admin <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 10:04:51 -0400
On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Liz Marr wrote:
> On 7 Oct 98, at 10:35, Pete Weiss wrote:
>
> > Try my idea from yesterday: do a REV of the list and then do a DISTRIBUTE
> > MAIL job to all subscribers.  See what is bounced.
> >

> I thought that they turned OFF the distribute function with Listserv 1.8d - it
> was too easy for a spammer to use.

   Use of DISTRIBUTE in 1.8d is at the discretion of the Listserv
Maintainer, as Nathan states.  Maybe I'm wrong but using it seems like
"too much work" when the problem is just "junk" stored in
"listname.autodel" because mail bounced back in an incorrect format for
listserv to extract the correct information for the Daily Report.
Wouldn't setting "Auto-delete= NO" cause Listserv to delete that file
AND at the same time, when mail is next sent to the list the bounce would
go to the List Owner to solve manually?  I don't know, it just seems
easier for a List Owner to do that instead of sending a DISTRIBUTE job
quickly (by quickly I mean that they already know how to do it and that
they have permission to do it).

  I never had reason to test it, so I'm guessing that if you set
auto-delete to no that Listserv immediately deletes the listname.autodel
file on the PUT.

--Trish

Trish Forrest
ITS - Queen's University