Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 12:42:34 EDT
On Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:24:09 -0500 you said:
>On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Nathan Brindle wrote:
>
>>If it was not a MIME attachment then Attachments= No would not have
>>stopped it, as documented and as discussed previously on this list (if
>>I am not mistaken about the latter).
>
>I looked at the raw text of the bounce I received back from our
>Exchange server here, and attached message that was contained in it
>was most definitely in MIME message/rfc822 format.

Actually that may be an exception.  I know that text/plain is not
blocked by Attachments= No, and neither are HTML text parts (handled
by Language= NOHTML instead), and that is documented.  message/rfc822
I'll have to look into.

>>AFAIK Exchange doesn't send
>>MIME attachments by default.  Gates seems to prefer sending inline
>>uuencoded junk instead of MIME message parts that LISTSERV can see
>>and reject or filter.
>>

>My other university account is an Outlook/Exchange account so I
>decided to test this by attaching an image to a message sent to this
>account.  Outlook sent it in MIME format.  This is Outlook 2000, not
>Outlook 97.  And probably more important, it is Outlook going through
>Exchange, not a direct Internet connection.  Since I can't find any
>way to select a setting of MIME or UUencode in Outlook when connected
>to an Exchange server, I don't know whether this is Outlook 2000 at
>work, whether Microsoft has finally changed the default for Exchange,
>or whether the people who installed Exchange here selected MIME
>instead of UUencode as the attachment encoding method.  I rather
>suspect that it is the third of these.

It wouldn't surprise me but we don't run Exchange, so my knowledge of
it is perforce second- or third-hand.

Nathan