Carl Reimann <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 31 May 1994 19:53:47 EDT
I use the Columbia Mail Manager as a mail reader, and it has a
"remail" command which allows a moderated list to receive mail with
the original sender's name intact in the from line. While reading a
message that is intended for the list, I just type "remail <address>"
after which the message is immediately sent to the address entered.
"Remail" generates the "resent-from" portion of the header which, as
Eric told me, is listserv's clue to leave the from line intact,
assuming that the list's "editor" is the same as the address in the
"resent-from" line. If a non-editor sent a message by "remailing" it,
the from line would adopt the new sender's name, and listserv would
generate a new line "originally-from" to state the original sender's
address.

I have not researched it nor experimented with it, but I believe that
Mail Handler has a "distribute" command, which may behave similarly
and produce similar results.

Carl Reimann