Tue, 28 Apr 1998 00:35:52 -0500
On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Philo wrote:
> Bottom line- there are people who prefer Usenet, and there are people who
> prefer mail. If you want maximum participation in your group, then offering
> both is the way to go...

If list (and your personal) "security/privacy" is of no concern.  On one
list little to nothing has come through the gateway for approval (except
porno spam), there is little to no "participation" from the gateway other
than spam, and even when Jim M. was at American the "spam" or other junk
(hey folks, this ain't a CAD list) comming to me for approval outweighed
the "legit" items by a hefty margin.  There is no "participation" problem,
rather people complain about heavy traffic (98% of it entirely legit).  On
another list we do not allow ANY gateways, of any description, and there
is NO participation problem, it is global and all the items are discussed
to death.

Eight, ten years ago, there may have been  an argument for usenet
gateways.  I don't think it applies today.

Douglas