Bill Stilwell <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 6 Sep 1997 09:29:47 EDT
Two or three chronological years ago, we used batch subscriptions. In so doing
we asked the registrar to provide the computing center with the names of
enrolled students and the computing center assigned addresses on the
university mainframe. I was sent the lists of names and addresses, verified
the enrollments, and batch uploaded them to the class list. For 20 or so
class lists, I was busy for about a week because the class roles would
change day2day.

Then came progress. The Computing Center reassigned people to the Library
Information System and the facilitators for class lists were no longer
able to do their magic.  In the awful year which followed I taught
faculty, secretary and staff how to send mail to LISTSERV with the text of
SUB ClassName Yourname, and many did.

More progress. In Spring 1997 Stuart Reedy and I conjured up a webpage
with a cgi script which facilitated student subscription to the class
list. The page works farily well, and we do get some very strange
and distant addresses! The faculty are slowly asking what is the Listowner
role and I am giving it to them. Now my task at the start of every semester
is to batch delete class lists, based upon the discussion lists which
are listed on every Departmental homepage.

The page can be found at http://www.uky.edu/Education click on Six Departments
and click on Course Discussion Lists.

Stan, I hope this helps. A little long, but also in appreciation for the
Virtual World Leadership which you have been providing.

<Bill Stilwell>

                              .  .
                           O       .
William Stilwell, Department of Educational and Counseling Psychology,
[log in to unmask]            http://www.uky.edu/Education/edphead.html
College of Education, UK, 40506-0017, 606-257-3395 (O).
"Play the game, fairly"         "Control.  Push the ball"