Philip Harriman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 13:55:42 -0400

At 11:19 AM 1/15/96, Siberia wrote:
>The information you seek is in the document Listserv Tips at:
>
>http://cspot11spot1.it.iupui.edu/listserv_tips.html

I looked at the "LISTSERV Tips" at that URL, and found these instructions
for deleting a list:

>4.4 Deleting Lists
>
>     When you are ready to delete a list, both the List Owner and the LISTSERV
>       Postmaster have responsibilities. List Owners should:
>
>     1.make the decision to delete the list
>     2.inform any existing subscribers of the situation
>     3.archive any material they wish to keep (files and logs - see below)
>     4.Notify the LISTSERV Postmaster and/or the system administrator
>
>       The LISTSERV Postmaster will then:
>
>      1.Erase the list by typing:
>                    TELL LISTSERV CMS ERASE listname LIST
>      2.Have the system administrator delete the user ID for the list.
>      3.Erase the associated files (archives, cache, FILELIST, etc.) by typing:
>                TELL LISTSERV CMS ERASE filename filetype
>          for each file.
>      4.If you had a dedicated minidisk for the list archives, you may want to
>              remove that minidisk from the LOCAL SYSVARS "mdisk" list and
>              remove it from LISTSERV. Check with your systems administrator.

I did steps 1-3 as List Owner, then notified the LISTSERV Postmaster
(myself) and tried step 1, although as I'm using LISTSERV under VMS I sent
the command as a mail message.

I got the following reply:

>> erase psci-120.list
>Unknown command - "ERASE". Try HELP.

What next?

Philip Harriman, Director of Academic Computing
The College of Wooster, Wooster, Ohio 44691
[log in to unmask] * (216) 263-2283 * (216) 263-2516 fax