Mary Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 01:53:11 -0500
>That you resent this, Mary, indicates, to me, that you got no replies the
>first time.

Exactly. I thought maybe everyone missed it so I sent it again. :)

>I can't really answer your question as what you ask about has
>gotten very convoluted since the VM BITNET/EARN days and I have failed to
>keep up with all the ins and outs of this; perhaps it has gotten to the
>point that the lsoft people, what with web interfaces and such, can't be
>sure either.
>
>Now, I think you can do a "sort of" anonymous subscription via the web
>interface, and quite likely can if you allow subscription via a "service"
>such as on AOL.  This may well give you a "name" when you check your
>subscription list but the "name" really isn't "registered."  I get the
>"notifies" for signons/signoffs and there is always a name for the
>"signon" but not infrequently there is only the address, rather than
>"name" and address, for the signoffs and I just figure they signed on
>via the web interface.  As I said, not something I have taken the time
>to pursue.

I am really more interested in making the names show up all the time,
and I understand that people at AOL can REGISTER FIRSTNAME LASTNAME
to do that. My problem is that the lady wants to be anonymous and I
don't want her to be. We are working at cross purposes her, she and I.

>Now, I do not know whether everyone being set CONCEAL has anything to do
>with the above or not, but it intrigues me.  What is the reasoning behind
>that?  Is it so that people can't get the name/addresses via a REV?  If
>that is all it is why not just put * Review= owner in the list header so
>you won't have to mess with everyone being set CONCEAL?

I am "list sitting" this list so the owner can take her first real
break from the list in 6 years. For some reason she thinks that
people will be able get the subscriber list even if it is set to *
Review= Owners. I told her they couldn't, so she ran an experiment,
and sure enough she got it. Then I pointed out to her that she was an
owner. Of course she would. It is sort of double safety, but she
likes it that way and I am hesitant to mess with the way someone else
is running their list. She does have * Review= Owners in the header.

However, the person writing to me trying to find out how to be
anonymous is subbed to the list and has given Listserv her name. It
shows up on her email to the list, but not her private email to me.
She just saw that someone else's name didn't show up in the header
and now she wants to have hers disappear too. Then she said something
about signing the messages with a screen name and her true identity
wouldn't be there at all. I don't think the owner will like that
anymore than I would. We neither one like anonymous subscriptions or
nicknames. We both feel that people have a right to know with whom
they are speaking.

Some people have said that their names disappeared after they signed
off the list and signed back on. They were there originally but not
when they resubbed from the same address. Does that give you a clue
about this mystery?

Mary